Post 9/11 GI Bill

Veterans Benefits are available at Iowa Lakes Community College!

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is an education benefit program for Service members and Veterans who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001.
To be eligible, the Service member or Veteran must have served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001, and remained on active duty or have been honorably:

  • Discharged from active-duty status;
  • Released from active duty and placed on the retired list or temporary disability retired list;
  • Released from active duty and transferred to the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corps Reserve;
  • Released from active duty for further service in a Reserve component of the Armed Forces

Veterans may also be eligible if they were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability after serving 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001. Generally, Service members or Veterans may receive up to 36 months (3 years) of entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Based on the length of active-duty service, eligible participants are entitled to receive a percentage of the following:

  • Cost of tuition and fees, not to exceed the most expensive in-state undergraduate tuition at a public institution of higher education (paid directly to the school);
  •  Monthly housing allowance equal to the basic allowance for housing payable to a military E-5 with dependents, in the same zip code as the primary school (paid directly to the Service member/Veteran);
  • Yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1,000 per year (paid directly to the Service member/Veteran); and
  • A one-time payment of $500 paid to certain individuals relocating from highly rural areas.

Benefits may be used for any approved program offered by a school in the US that is authorized to grant an associate (or higher) degree. Call 1-888-442-4551 or visit for information about attending school in a foreign country.

Transfer of Entitlement

DoD may offer members of the Armed Forces on or after August 1, 2009, the opportunity to transfer benefits to a spouse or dependent children. DoD and the military services must approve all requests for this benefit

Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program

This program was enacted to potentially assist eligible individuals with payment of their tuition and fees in instances where costs exceed the most expensive in-state undergraduate tuition at a public institution of higher education.
To be eligible, the student must be: a Veteran receiving benefits at the 100% benefit rate payable, a transfer-of-entitlement eligible dependent child, or a transfer-of-entitlement eligible spouse of a Veteran.

Work Study Program

Veterans and eligible transfer-of-entitlement recipients who train at the three-quarter rate of pursuit or higher may be eligible for a work-study program in which they work for VA and receive hourly wages.

Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB)

VA Educational benefits may be used while the Service member is on active duty or after the Service member’s separation from active duty with a fully honorable military discharge. Discharges “under honorable conditions” and “general” discharges do not establish eligibility.

Eligibility generally expires 10 years after the Service member’s discharge. However, there are exceptions for disability, re-entering active duty and upgraded discharges.

All participants must have a high school diploma, equivalency certificate, or have completed 12 hours toward a college degree before applying for benefits.

Previously, Service members had to meet the school requirement before they completed their initial active duty obligation. Those who did not may now meet the requirement and reapply for benefits. If eligible, they must use their benefits either within 10 years from the date of last discharge from active duty or by November 2, 2010, whichever is later.

Work Study Program

Veterans who train at the three-quarter or full-time rate may be eligible for a work-study program in which they work for VA and receive hourly wages.

Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

Active duty personnel could participate in VEAP if they entered active duty for the first time after December 31, 1976, and before July 1, 1985, and made a contribution prior to April 1, 1987.
Service members who participated in VEAP are eligible to receive benefits while on active duty if:

  • At least 3 months of contributions are available, except for high school or elementary, in which only 1 month is needed.
  • And they enlisted for the first time after September 7, 1980, and completed 24 months (2 years) of their first period of active duty.

Service members must receive a discharge under conditions other than dishonorable for the qualifying period of service. Service members who enlisted for the first time after September 7, 1980, or entered active duty as an officer or enlistee after October 16, 1981, must have completed 24 continuous months (2 years) of active duty, unless they meet a qualifying exception.

Training, Work Study, Counseling

VEAP participants may receive the same training, work-study benefits and counseling as provided under the MGIB.

Survivors’ & Dependents’ Educational Assistance

VA provides educational assistance to qualifying dependents as follows:

  • The spouse or child of a Service member or Veteran who either died of a service-connected disability, or who has permanent and total service-connected disability, or who died while such a disability existed.
  • The spouse or child of a Service member listed for more than 90 days as currently Missing in Action (MIA), captured in the line of duty by a hostile force, or detained or interned by a foreign government or power.
  • The spouse or child of a Service member who is hospitalized or is receiving outpatient care or treatment for a disability that is determined to be totally and permanently disabling, incurred or aggravated due to active duty, and for which the Service member is likely to be discharged from military service.

Surviving spouses lose eligibility if they remarry before age 57 or are living with another person who has been held out publicly as their spouse. They can regain eligibility if their remarriage ends in death or divorce or if they cease living with the person. Dependent children do not lose eligibility if the surviving spouse remarries.

Tuition Assistance

Up to $5,500 per year at a State Regents university or State community college with a maximum of $27,500 of education assistance to a department of a former US serviceman who was an Iowa resident who was killed in action in a combat zone on or after September 11, 2001. Dependents of those killed prior to September 11, 2001 are eligible for $600 per year with a maximum of $3,000 lifetime. Residency requirements for the dependent also apply.

Training Available

Benefits may be awarded for pursuit of associate, bachelor, or graduate degrees at colleges and universities; independent study; cooperative training; study abroad; certificate or diploma from business, technical or vocational schools, apprenticeships, on-the-job training programs; and farm cooperative courses. Benefits for correspondence courses under certain conditions are available to spouses only.

Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

This scholarship entitles children of those soldiers who have died in the line of duty on or since September 11, 2001, to use Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits

Work Study

Participants who train at the three-quarter or full-time rate may be eligible for a work-study program in which they work for VA and receive hourly wages.

Special Benefits

Dependents over age 14 with physical or mental disabilities that impair their ability to pursue an education may receive specialized vocational or restorative training, including speech and voice correction, language training, lip reading, auditory training, Braille reading and writing and similar programs. Certain disabled or surviving spouses are also eligible.

MGIB Death Benefit

VA will pay a special MGIB death benefit to a designated survivor in the event of the service-connected death of a Service member while on active duty or within one year after discharge or release. The deceased must either have been entitled to educational assistance under the MGIB program or a participant in the program who would have been so entitled but for the high school diploma or length-of-service requirement.

For more information visit for detailed information on all educational benefits provided by the VA.