Federal Benefits

The following are benefits provided by the Federal Government of the United States.


Disability Benefits

There are two disability programs administered by the VA. Both pay monthly benefits to disabled veterans.
There is no deadline for applying for benefits!

Disability Compensation: You may be eligible to receive monetary compensation if you are at least 10% disabled as a result of your military service. Special categories of Presumptive Compensation Eligibility include:

Pension: You may be eligible for a monthly pension if you are a wartime veteran with limited income, and you are no longer able to work or are age 65 or older. There are three levels of pension benefits:

Quick Tip: if you are unsure if you meet all criteria, you should go head and file an application. VA will determine if you are eligible and notify you.

Burial Benefits

The VA offers certain benefits and services to honor our Nation’s deceased veterans. There is no time limit for claiming reimbursement of burial expenses for a service-related death. In other cases, claims must be filed within 2 years of the veteran’s burial.

Dependents’ & Survivor’s Benefits

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) is payable to certain survivors of:

Death Pension is payable to some surviving spouses and children of deceased wartime veterans based on financial need. There is no time limit to apply.

VA Civilian Health and Medical Program (CHAMPVA) shares the cost of medical services for eligible dependents and survivors of certain veterans. There is no time limit to apply.

Dependents & Survivors Education & Training
Some family members of disabled or deceased veterans are eligible for education and training benefits. Spouses and surviving spouses have 10 years from the date VA first finds them eligible, and surviving spouses of service members who died while on active duty have 20 years. Children are eligible from age 18 to 26. These time limits can sometimes be extended.


Education & Training

VA pays benefits to eligible veterans, reservists, and active duty service members while they are in an approved education or training program. Generally, veterans have 10 years from the date they were last released from active duty to use their education and training benefits; and Reserve and National Guard members have 14 years from the date they became eligible for the program unless they leave the Selected Reserves before completing their obligation. Based on the type of military service, programs include:

Reserve/Guard Service: Benefits are available to Reserve and National Guard members under (a) the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) (Chapter 1606) who signed a six-year commitment with a reserve unit after June 30, 1985, and remain actively drilling and in good standing in their unit, and (b) the Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP) (Chapter 1607) who are activated under Federal authority for a contingency operation and served 90 continuous days or more after September 11, 2001.

Post 9/11 GI Bill
Montgomery GI Bill
Survivors’ & Dependents’ Educational Assistance


Health Care

VA provides a number of health care services including:

Home Loans

There are a number of home loan services available to eligible veterans, some military personnel, and certain spouses. There is no time limit for a VA home loan, except for eligible reservists.


Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment

Veterans with service-connected disabilities may be eligible for assistance with finding and keeping suitable employment. For veterans with serious service-connected disabilities, the VA also offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible. You generally have 12 years from the date you are notified in writing that you have at least a 20% rating for a service-connected disability or 10% with a serious employment handicap.


Service Members’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI)
SGIL is a low-cost term life insurance for service members and reservists. Coverage of up to $400,000 begins when you enter the service. Generally, it expires 120 days after you leave the service.

Go to Local Benefits | Go to State Benefits